Friday, October 5, 2007

Shanna's Experience Teaching in Kansas

Shanna Riecker
Math Teacher
Garden City High School

Why did you become a teacher?
Growing up, I always wanted to be a teacher. I conducted “classes” for all of the neighborhood kids from a very early age. Until my senior year of high school, I was sure that I wanted to be a first grade teacher – I wanted to be just like Mrs. P. was when I was in first grade. My high school offered an Exploring Teaching class where seniors were allowed to go to an elementary school and be a teacher’s aide for a class, and of course, I chose to go into a first grade classroom. It didn’t take me long to figure out that wasn’t the right place for me. In a discussion with my counselor, she mentioned that I should consider secondary education, and I took her advice.

I majored in mathematics secondary education because math was something that was usually easy for me, and I enjoyed the endless possibilities with teaching math. I enjoyed the time that I got to spend in middle school and high school classrooms throughout my coursework, and I knew that this was what I was meant to do. After college graduation, I took a job teaching high school math in Garden City, Kansas. It wasn’t where I figured I would end up teaching, but the experience thus far has been wonderful.

What was your first year of teaching like?
Garden City High School was an amazing place to start my teaching career. The math department had all of the qualities that I was looking for – the teachers were positive, they collaborated, they were willing to try new methods of teaching, they utilized technology whenever possible, and they welcomed me into their “family” with open arms. Any time I had a question (or still have a question), there were 16 other teachers ready to give me an answer or point me in the right direction. Any time I needed ideas on lessons, they gave me everything they had. Thanks to them, I made it through my first year of teaching successfully, and my second, and I’m on my way to my third!
The administration at the school and throughout the district was also very supportive of me. It feels very good to be recognized for the hard work you do, and they continue to do this on a regular basis. The principals at the school are present in classrooms, and they are very approachable people when you have issues or problems arise. After some of the administrator horror stories that I had heard from other teachers from around the country, I am very thankful for the great people that I work under.

What are the benefits of teaching in Kansas?
There are many other positive aspects about teaching in Kansas in my opinion. I have had great opportunities to advance professionally. Last year I had the opportunity to receive my ESL endorsement, which was reimbursed 100% by my district. I have attended conferences around the state, and even around the country, which have helped me to develop as an educator. But the most positive part about teaching in Kansas is the kids. Every day, I get to work with a group of students that are very diverse, and I learn more from them than I could ever teach them. Every day presents a new challenge, and overcoming those challenges gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with educators?
The three goals of the school that I work at are: Relationships, Rigor, and Relevance, and they should be the three goals of every teacher. They key to successful education is developing relationships with students, having high expectations of all students, and making what you teach relevant to every student, and I have felt very successful, thanks to the opportunities that I’ve been given, at accomplishing all of those things thus far in my teaching career.

No comments: